January 7, 2017 WARAC swapfest
Recap of January 28, 2017 Test Session
We had a great test session and the Volunteer Examiner (VE) team did a fantastic job. We had 13 candidates attend the test session and all of the candidates walked out with a CSCE. Two candidates walked in without a license and walked out as Generals.
A total of 20 exams were administered, 15 passed and 5 failed. There a were 8 new Technicians, 9 Generals (2 new hams and 7 upgraded from Technician) and 2 upgraded to Extra. Congratulations to all of the candidates that attended the exam session.
Please bring the following:
- A photo ID such as a driver’s license or school ID. If you don’t have a photo ID, bring two other forms of ID. Young people without a picture ID are welcome to test with us. We ask that at least one parent or guardian accompany the child to vouch for his or her identity.
- Form 605 requires either an FCC Registration Number (FRN) or a Social Security Number. If you are licensed and have an FRN, please bring that. Look on your license, as it may be listed there. (Do not confuse your FRN with the license file number.) Your FRN is also listed on the FCC’s system. To review your file, click here. Provide either your name or callsign where indicated, and click “Search.”
- Some license holders do not have an FRN yet. We suggest you register with the FCC, and bring that number with you. Unlicensed hams may provide their Social Security Numbers for testing, but they are also welcome to register with the FCC to obtain an FRN. Click on the word “register” above and follow the instructions.
- For Technician Class exam: A picture ID and testing fee.
For upgrades: Original ham license plus photocopy or FCC Reference copy. The photocopy or Reference Copy will be retained with the VEC records.
- Original and photocopy of a Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) if you’re using that instead.
- There is a fee of $5.00 to take any exam or retake any failed exam. Cash only, please. (Your $1 and $5 bills are greatly appreciated!) No checks.
- A calculator, as long as any memories are cleared.
- We provide pens and pencils, as well as all the necessary paperwork.
There is no pre-registration required. Simply show up at the test session. Also, we offer all three classes of exams at every test session. Please leave any instruction materials in your vehicle and turn off your cell phone and pager before entering the testing room. Good luck!
Any questions, feel free to contact the testing team via MRACVEC@gmail.com
Exam Element Credit Available For Expired Licenses
The National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators has issued the following guidelines for those holding expired licenses. The candidate must present the following documentation and pass the Technician Class license.
At that point, the candidate will be issued the appropriate license (General or Extra Class) with a sequential callsign. General and Advanced Class licensees will be issued General Class licenses. Conditional Class licensees most likely will receive a General Class license as well, but we need to contact the FCC for assistance. If you held a Conditional Class license, please be patient as we process your application.
If the person would like a vanity call, he or she will have to proceed through the standard process. We do not issue vanity callsigns.
At an exam session, the applicant must present documentation of being previously licensed in order to upgrade or earn a new license. Please note that it is the responsibility of the candidate to produce the documentation. We do not have access to old records. Acceptable documentation includes:
- A copy of the license showing Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
2. A printout from FCC ULS website showing General, Advanced, or Extra.
3. A printout from QRZ website showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
4. A photocopy of a 1967 or later Callbook showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
5. Verification letter from the FCC showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
6. Verification letter from a VEC showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra that the VEC has verified from an archived FCC database.
7. A photocopy of a pre-1967 Callbook with no license class shown, the callsign must be a:
– 1×3: K or W prefix (was a Technician, Conditional, General, or Advanced license) to receive Element 3 credit only.
– 2×3: WA or WB prefix (was a Technician, Conditional, General, or Advanced license) to receive Element 3 credit only.
– 2×3: KN and WN prefix (was a Novice) is EXCLUDED and receives no credit.