Milwaukee Radio Amateurs' Club One of the World's Oldest Continuously Active Radio Amateur Clubs - since 1917
* PDF document
Ham Radio Exams
9:30 - 11:00 AM
Upcoming Test Sessions:
Regular Test Location:
Amateur Electronic Supply
5710 W. Good Hope Rd.
Look for signs directing you to the proper roomRecap of March 28 SessionWe had a busy session in March. A total of 22 candidates tested. Of those, 13 left as General class license holders (including three who were unlicensed to begin with) and five who upgraded to Extra class. Our next session is April 25. It will be held at AES from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. The information below will help you prepare for your tests.------------------------------
------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------
Please bring the following:
There is no pre-registration required. Simply show up at the test session. Also, we offer all three classes of exams at every test session. Please leave any instruction materials in your vehicle and turn off your cell phone and pager before entering the testing room. Good luck!
- A photo ID such as a driver's license or school ID. If you don't have a photo ID, bring two other forms of ID.
- Young people without a picture ID are welcome to test with us. We ask that at least one parent or guardian accompany the child to vouch for his or her identity.
- Form 605 requires either an FCC Registration Number (FRN) or a Social Security Number. If you are licensed and have an FRN, please bring that. Look on your license, as it may be listed there. (Do not confuse your FRN with the license file number.) Your FRN is also listed on the FCC’s system. To review your file, click here. Provide either your name or callsign where indicated, and click "Search."
- Some license holders do not have an FRN yet. We suggest you register with the FCC, and bring that number with you. Unlicensed hams may provide their Social Security Numbers for testing, but they are also welcome to register with the FCC to obtain an FRN. Click on the word “register” above and follow the instructions.
- Original and photocopy of your ham license, if you have one.
- Original and photocopy of a Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) if you're using that instead.
- There is a fee of $5.00 to retake any exam. Cash only, please. No checks.
- A calculator, as long as any memories are cleared.
- We provide pens and pencils, as well as all the necessary paperwork.
Any questions, feel free to contact the testing team via MRACVEC@gmail.com
Exam Element Credit Available For Expired Licenses
The National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators has issued the following guidelines for those holding expired licenses. The candidate must present the following documentation and pass the Technician Class license.
At that point, the candidate will be issued the appropriate license (General or Extra Class) with a sequential callsign. Conditional, General and Advanced Class licensees will be issued General Class licenses.
If the person would like a vanity call, he or she will have to proceed through the standard process. We do not issue vanity callsigns.
At an exam session, the applicant must present documentation of being previously licensed in order to upgrade or earn a new license. Acceptable documentation includes:
1. A copy of the license showing Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
2. A printout from FCC ULS website showing General, Advanced, or Extra.
3. A printout from QRZ website showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
4. A photocopy of a 1967 or later Callbook showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
5. Verification letter from the FCC showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra.
6. Verification letter from a VEC showing license class Technician (prior to March 1987), General, Advanced, or Extra that the VEC has verified from an archived FCC database.
7. A photocopy of a pre-1967 Callbook with no license class shown, the callsign must be a:
- 1x3: K or W prefix (was a Technician, Conditional, General, or Advanced license) to receive Element 3 credit only.
- 2x3: WA or WB prefix (was a Technician, Conditional, General, or Advanced license) to receive Element 3 credit only.
- 2x3: KN and WN prefix (was a Novice) is EXCLUDED and receives no credit.
This page was last updated on 4/12/2015
Copyright © 2006-2015, MRAC, All rights reserved.
Problems? Contact the Webmaster